, , , , ,

This weekend was a big deal. I had a whirlwind trip to Chicago planned around one very special event. It was absolutely amazing!!! 

So what was so special about this trip? Well, as you all know, I’m converting to Judaism (a long and involved process). Rob was raised Jewish, but his mother wasn’t. She has lived a Jewish life and kept a Jewish home since she married his father in 1963 (her parents were Jewish but didn’t practice, I believe). She has been a Jew her entire adult life, but she had never become a Bat Mitzvah. Sixteen months ago, give or take, she started to take B’nai Mitzvah classes at her temple (B’nai Jehoshua Beth Elohim in Deerfield, IL) and on Saturday, February 1st, she became a Bat Mitzvah! 

First, this temple has an amazing music program and places a very heavy emphasis on music during services. If that wasn’t enough to draw me in, the clergy were so helpful and encouraging that the B’nai Mitzvah class sailed right through the ceremony. I know Rob’s mom was nervous, but they all banded together and helped each other through, and she was awesome. I think the one thing that fills me with dread is having to memorize my Torah portion for when it’s my turn, and she was amazing at it! I don’t have any photos, because I wasn’t sure of the appropriateness of bringing a camera into temple, and I haven’t yet asked her permission to post any, but if I managed to get one (with permission), I will share.

I’m so glad I was able to be there, and I was privileged to attend this fantastic event 🙂 The trip home was a bit hairy. There was a fault with our plane, so I was pushed onto a later flight out of Chicago – and therefore a MUCH later connection out of Toronto. But I got lucky! When we arrived at Toronto, I got to the lounge just in time to hear the boarding call for an EARLIER connection back to Ottawa, so I ran over to the information desk and begged to be put on that flight. MADE IT! So I didn’t get home in the middle of the night, I was able to pick the kids up, get home, and hop on the treadmill for a few minutes (Rob had to coerce me, I was tired LOL).

In other news…. 



Last week, Rob had some car trouble and needed to take his car in to the garage. Which necessitated driving the car down there and then walking to the train station (2 miles) to get to work. It’s been cold in Chicago this winter. A lot colder than they’re used to. So he froze his face. He asked me to knit him a scarf that would go with his black jacket, and with the brown bomber jacket he would like to eventually own. I started knitting a garter stitch scarf, and after a solid week of working on it, I had about 3 1/2 inches of scarf to show for it. This wasn’t going well. I decided to see how crochet would do instead. So when I got to the airport on Friday night, I took my 3.5mm hook and started crocheting. Simple rows of 25 HDC stitches, back and forth, back and forth. I got through the 1st ball of yarn on the first plane. Cast on the 2nd ball at the Toronto City Centre airport waiting for the 2nd plane, and I was nearly done THAT ball by the time we landed in Chicago. The third ball was done driving back and forth on Saturday and I was able to cast off and weave the ends in on Saturday night. 

This is a record for me. I crocheted a scarf in just about 26 hours! And it’s FINISHED, and he likes it! It’s made out of Queensland Collection Rustic Wool in Chocolate. The 3.5mm hook made a slightly denser fabric than I would have gotten if I used my favorite 4.5mm or 5mm hooks, and the brown and charcoal variegation made for some interesting wave patterns against the direction of the stitches! Most importantly, it’s wool, so he will be warm. It’s not an overly long scarf, but long enough to cover his face and tuck the ends in.